[pskmail] Re: Sailing with AIS and PSKmail

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 12:25:52 +0200

Hi Fred,

Well, most often I will be at the wheel and during the longer legs the kids usually fall asleep.
A tablet can be difficult to see when in sunlight. The plotter works fine so I'm looking at interfacing tracks there.

73, Per

Den 2015-09-23 kl. 20:02, skrev Frederic Bouchet:

hello,

do you look something like http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_184150.html ?

Fred F4EED

Hi all,

Sailing season has ended for me, next week my boat is on land and
I'll prepare it for winter.
So, now begins the "silly sailing season" when I get to prepare
for next years sailing.

This year we had some semi long trips with legs of up to 80-100 nm
and a few weeks at sea. While sailing I have my plotter right at
the wheel and at the moment I lack AIS information there. We did
cross the bigger shipping lanes and of course had to keep a sharp
lookout, as always.
I will connect an AIS receiver to be able to see the other ships
earlier/better. The bigger ferries do 30 knots so in a few narrow
passages I would have liked to see where they were going earlier.
But, I would also like to see other boats that use aprs on my
plotter and of course I would like to have pskmail integrated too.
So, I built an aprs to ais gateway. That way I can have both AIS,
APRS and PSKmail tracks on my plotter. It converts APRS pos
messages into NMEA AIVDM with AIS Payload containing AIS message
type 1 (Position report class A) which any AIS capable plotter
must handle. I intend to add type 5 also to get some more data
across. I have it on a PC now but that won't do on the boat, I'm
thinking arduino to save power and size.
So, I just wonder if that kind of thing could be interesting for
others with boats? A small box that lets you connect AIS and APRS
sources to a dedicated plotter or software (OpenCPN for PC or
android works fine btw).

73, Per
sm0rwo

--
L'informatique différente : Pourquoi payer le prix fort pour un logiciel ?!

Alors que pour le même prix je peux me payer une formation à l'utilisation d'un logiciel libre !!