[pskmail] Re: Sailing with AIS and PSKmail

  • From: Juergen <dl8jf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:44:20 +0200

Hi Per,
nice idea, go ahead :-) . I use OpenCPN with an AIS receiver. I read in the manual that it should be possible to plot APRS targets at the chart as well, but I never tried it.

They write:
Treat WPL sentences as APRS position reports.
APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) is utilized by HAM radio operators around the world.The NMEA WPL sentence is shorthand for for "waypoint location". If this box is ticked, a WPL sentence will be assumed to be an AIS-like APRS target.

I wonder which APRS station sends WPL sentences ?
PSKmail surely not or I am wrong ?

73
Juergen
DL8JF

On 09/23/2015 10:43 AM, Pär Crusefalk wrote:

Hi all,

Sailing season has ended for me, next week my boat is on land and I'll
prepare it for winter.
So, now begins the "silly sailing season" when I get to prepare for next
years sailing.

This year we had some semi long trips with legs of up to 80-100 nm and a
few weeks at sea. While sailing I have my plotter right at the wheel and
at the moment I lack AIS information there. We did cross the bigger
shipping lanes and of course had to keep a sharp lookout, as always.
I will connect an AIS receiver to be able to see the other ships
earlier/better. The bigger ferries do 30 knots so in a few narrow
passages I would have liked to see where they were going earlier. But, I
would also like to see other boats that use aprs on my plotter and of
course I would like to have pskmail integrated too. So, I built an aprs
to ais gateway. That way I can have both AIS, APRS and PSKmail tracks on
my plotter. It converts APRS pos messages into NMEA AIVDM with AIS
Payload containing AIS message type 1 (Position report class A) which
any AIS capable plotter must handle. I intend to add type 5 also to get
some more data across. I have it on a PC now but that won't do on the
boat, I'm thinking arduino to save power and size.
So, I just wonder if that kind of thing could be interesting for others
with boats? A small box that lets you connect AIS and APRS sources to a
dedicated plotter or software (OpenCPN for PC or android works fine btw).

73, Per
sm0rwo