[pskmail] Re: Sailing with AIS and PSKmail

  • From: Juergen <dl8jf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:28:31 +0200

Nice board but what about the power consumption. Engery is always short on a sailing vessel if you don't have solar modules or a wind turbine to charge the batteries.

73
Juergen
DL8JF

On 09/23/2015 05:48 PM, kc9sgv@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Peer,

You could also maybe try this one from the Chinese.
Ships directly to your front door from China....

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/NEW-orange-pi-plus-Allwinner-A31s-Dual-Core-1GB-RAM-Open-source-development-board/1553371_32248189300.html

Bernard
KC9SGV

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 23, 2015, at 1:43 AM, Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Sailing season has ended for me, next week my boat is on land and I'll prepare
it for winter.
So, now begins the "silly sailing season" when I get to prepare for next years
sailing.

This year we had some semi long trips with legs of up to 80-100 nm and a few
weeks at sea. While sailing I have my plotter right at the wheel and at the
moment I lack AIS information there. We did cross the bigger shipping lanes and
of course had to keep a sharp lookout, as always.
I will connect an AIS receiver to be able to see the other ships
earlier/better. The bigger ferries do 30 knots so in a few narrow passages I
would have liked to see where they were going earlier. But, I would also like
to see other boats that use aprs on my plotter and of course I would like to
have pskmail integrated too. So, I built an aprs to ais gateway. That way I can
have both AIS, APRS and PSKmail tracks on my plotter. It converts APRS pos
messages into NMEA AIVDM with AIS Payload containing AIS message type 1
(Position report class A) which any AIS capable plotter must handle. I intend
to add type 5 also to get some more data across. I have it on a PC now but that
won't do on the boat, I'm thinking arduino to save power and size.
So, I just wonder if that kind of thing could be interesting for others with
boats? A small box that lets you connect AIS and APRS sources to a dedicated
plotter or software (OpenCPN for PC or android works fine btw).

73, Per
sm0rwo