[pskmail] Re: Sailing trip across Atlantic with PSKmail

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:09:10 +0100 (CET)

Christian,

Pactor III is nice if you don't care about bandwidth and qrming other hams,
and if you only need email. It has clever  built-in qrming system, which makes
it switch from 500 Hz to 2 kHz bandwidth as soon as the propagation is good.
Thereby jamming an extra 1.5 kHz, mostly on top of running qsos.
The PSKmail system will survive most pactor attacks by waiting until
the ordeal is over...

Maybe somebody can add a popup system which can be switched off
by an  'expert mode'. Additional popups will mean a lot of extra work with
internationalization.
We will need input from first time users on what  items should be pop-upped...

The Igates are additional to the servers, the servers have the same APRS
function.
The difference is that servers give you a QSL, the Igates don't transmit.

There is a video on youtube showing the setup of the modes...
During my stay in EA I hope to get time to spend some more time on the manual.

... and now on the road for the next 5 days ...

Happy sailing!

Rein PA0R/M