[pskmail] Re: Sailing trip across Atlantic with PSKmail

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:27:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

although I am probably not the rigth person for this, I will try to
sort out some of the stuff...

First, smtp:
Smtp is handled by the pskmail server. The smtp server is fixed on the pskmail
server.
This means that the pskmail server will try to send any outgoing mail through
that smtp server.
At the moment this enabled for gmail and for smtp servers which do not use the
TLS protocol.
To send your mail, the pskmail server needs your mail record, for smtp
specifically the return address.
The mail record must be sent in advance to any pskmail server you use, they are
not talking to each other. You send your data with 'update server' after
connecting.
To enable password scrambling, you should also set a session password. See the
manual
on how to do this.

Speed:
PSKmail has a footprint of only 500 Hz. Remember we are using ham radio bands.
The speed/bandwidth ratio of PSKmail depends on channel conditions, and it is
automatically optimizwed by the server.
The throughput/bandwidth ratio of PSKmail is MUCH better than with pactor III,
and a LOT cheaper.

Email:
PSKmail is a decentralized system, without a single point of failure.
It does not use a central email address like xxx@xxxxxxxxxxx, but
enables your own mailbox at your provider, if that has POP3 enabled.
Gmail automatically disables POP access every time you use the web interface,
so remember to re-enable POP when you leave the web mail page.
POP3 needs your POP address, your userid and your password.
The system has been laid out in such a way that you can manage that yourself
by sending your data to the server before using it the first time.

Igate:
The igate is just an HF APRS receiver for stations who run the pskmail client
at home. The Igate sends every APRS beacon and message heard to th APRS
central servers.
The PSKmail servers listen to the APRS backbone, and forward messages
back any pskmail client which is linked to them.
This way, one one server sends the message.

Mode table:
you can set your own mode tables.
The servers use a default mode for listening to APRS. In the US this is PSK250,
in the rest of the world it is PSK500R.
Set your client default to the server default, so all servers on frequency have
a chance
to hear you.

Mail/APRS:
is the normal mode of operation
Mail/scanning:
sends your connect in the minute you set, this is for scanning servers,
which change their frequency every minute.
So if you know the server is on 14111 in minute 3, you can set the connect
minute to 3,
and the client will send connect frames during minute 3,8,13,18 etc...
Monitor:
Prints valid blocks to the screen, and switches off scanning. So you can
monitor 1 frequency intensively.

Inquiry:
sends a ping to a specific server, so you get an answer from only that server.
In EU we
get 5 answers when we ping, and they are mostly unreadable because the servers
tx on top of each other.

Telnet:
Once connected you can e.g. telnet to a packet BBS on the internet, or a dx
cluster... or to your own machine at home... etc....

Hope this sheds some light...

If nobody reads the manual, maybe we should put less time into making one?

73,

Rein PA0R/M
(on the way to EA3)