[pskmail] Re: STANAG 4285 legal in the US? (was: Re: Re: Server & Hamlib Question....)

  • From: "Demetre Valaris - SV1UY" <sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:52:13 +0300

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:13:00 +0200, Rein Couperus wrote
> I know where this argumentation comes from. Bonnie will do anything
> to make us believe the ALE stuff is legal. I especially like the
> "only one carrier is transmitted at any time" phrase. This describes
> frequency hopping. If I would put a DirectSequence signal on the air
> with this "300 Baud maximum" definition and chose the frequencies
> properly I could generate a signal blanketing the complete 20 meters
> band, and people would not like me very much for it. I am sure the
> 300 Baud definition comes from "300 Bd ASCII", which is 28 cps.

Well know for twisting around anything to suit their way of thinking.

> Anything else looks like legal humbug and selective
> interpretation... It sounds a bit like the Pactor3 stations
> operating in the 500 Hz bandwidth-limited 30 meters band, who will
> tell you that it is perfectly legal to do so because they started
> the qso in pactor1 mode and they are not responsible for their SCS
> box switching to P3.

I have never heard that, never operate PACTOR 3 on 30m, but if it is true
then the Winlink2000 sysops who claim this are just as bad as the person you
described above becasue they try to twist the truth!

I like PACTOR 3 and the Winlink2000 system, but we should all follow the
rules in our shared ham bands. IARU clearly states that in Region I, 30m is
for narrowband modes up to 500Hz.

Of course some wil argue that IARU cannot force anything upon us and that
their local administrations do not mention anything about narrowband modes
anywhere and my license indeed does not mention anything, but if everyone
does what they like then we will all have a problem. I guess that IARU rules
are some sort of gentlements agreement and we should all stick to it.

It is people like the ones you are describing (I don't have a reason not to
believe you Rein) that spoil a very good system and also give PACTOR 3 a
stinking name.

I think these sysops are acting childish and they are as bad as the ones who
want to ban wideband digital modes from HF altogether.

> 73 :-)
>
> Rein PA0R

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY