[pskmail] Re: STANAG 4285 legal in the US? (was: Re: Re: Server & Hamlib Question....)

  • From: "Demetre Valaris - SV1UY" <sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:15:21 +0300

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:23:25 +0200, Per Crusefalk wrote

> Been thinking about the interesting regulations in the US...
> I noticed something interesting on this page:
> http://hflink.com/alehamradiousa/
>
> I am refering to this part:
> "Does the ALE RF Signal Meet the FCC "300 Baud Rule" for Data mode?
> Yes. The ALE (MIL-STD 188-141B or FED-STD-1045) signal is
> transmitted at 125 symbols per second. It is legal under FCC Rules
> for use in the Amateur Radio Service for DATA MODE transmission on
> HF in the DATA sub-bands. Current FCC Rules in USA allow DATA modes
> up to 300 baud (300 symbols per second) in HF data subbands. Symbol
> rate (baud) is the number of state changes the transmitted signal
> makes per second. The ALE signal is 8FSK (8 Frequency Shift Keyed).
> 8 discrete tone frequencies are spaced 250 Hz apart from 750 Hz to
> 2500 Hz at audio baseband. A single tone is being transmitted at any
> given instant on any one of these 8 frequencies. No more than one
> tone is transmitted at a time. Each symbol represents three bits of
> data, resulting in an over-the-air data rate of 375 bits per second
> (375bps) using "125 baud"."
>
> STANAG 4285 & MIL-STD 188-110A use 8-PSK to provide up to 2400 bps (not
> 8-FSK as in the example). The big issue is if they are correct in
> thinking that its the baud rate that matters (and not the actual data
> rate)?
>
> 73 de Per, sm0rwo

I think that FCC mentions baud (I bet the ones who wrote the rules haven't a
clue about the difference of baud and bps, or they wrote it in the dark ages
when baud and bps was indeed the same).

What I'm not sure is true is the following statement:

"Each symbol represents three bits of data, resulting in an over-the-air
data rate of 375 bits per second (375bps) using "125 baud"."

It could be an innocent white little lie that they might be using to make
STANAG 4285 sound legal. I do not really know how STANAG 4285 works exactly
so I could be wrong here. I hope someone can come forward and explain to all
of us because STANAG 4285 sounds interesting, although it is not robust
enough for the ham bands. It is cheap to implement though.

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx
AX25 PBBS: SV1UY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx