[pskmail] Re: SNR vs receiver bandwidth vs DSP coding bandwidth(?)

  • From: "Kepple, Alan C CIV SEA 08 NR" <alan.kepple@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:17:24 -0400

My guess that the narrower bandwidth PSK modes would provide more DX was
based mostly on empirical experience.
I have frequently been able to make PSK31 contacts to EU and SA.  I have
even had some contacts ~5000 miles or so.  On the other hand I have
trouble routinely getting to WB5CON, ~800 miles away on PKS250.  It
seems like the SNR would have to decrease if my 20 watts gets spread out
over 300hz vice 80hz.
I understand though if it takes longer to send the packets using a
narrower bandwidth that the chance of losing the whole string will
increase with required transmission time (the chance of qrm disruption
more a function of time than bandwidth).  The need to get a whole string
through intact makes PSKmail different than keyboard to keyboard PSK31.
Looking forward to your tests!