[pskmail] Re: SA6BQZ-1

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:58:24 +1000

Hello Per,

I hope we can overcome this issue. You and Rein have certainly been the
pillars of Pskmail and I take this opportunity to thank you both for the
significant amount of time you have spend on this project helping other OMs.

Sure, when we engage in these activities we do it for fun, but at the end of
the day there is some part of us in the project too.

The way I look at it is: as long as can stay committed to the HAM user base
that I wish to help through this project, then I am happy with giving my
time for it.

By accepting to develop under open source then I know some may use it in
different ways but as long as it does not prevent me from delivering on the
objective above I am ok with it.

But at the same time I would still maintain my priorities in regards to who
I wish to help. That is clear. And if that commercial objective was to
become an impediment to serving the HAM community then I would expect them
to fork the project and let them run their own way.

On the other hand, *assuming* the commercial organisation would put
something back in the project, we could get some new features that were not
part of the original intent.

At the end of the day Pskmail is the most feature reach system of that king
that I know of, and that by an order or magnitude in my opinion, and I am
sure that having it open source is an important factor in that situation.

So in the end I feel we have to take to good and the "less-good" and as Rein
said keep having fun...

Take care.

All the best,

73, John