[pskmail] Re: Robust psk-modes on raspberry pi

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:17:32 +1100

There are two factors here that makeup the delay in the display of
characters.

1. The effect of the interleaver: as the encoded bits are spread over time,
the decoder has to wait to see the end of the interleaver length to decide
which bits to use.

2. The delay between the decoder thread processing and the display thread
processing. If the cpu load increases, that delay increases.

Now regarding the the slow dropoff of the signal bar. The mechanism to mark
an end of signal is only used in psk modes as we had some false positives
in pskr meaning that it would cut off in the middle of a transmission
resulting in missing characters.

Since pskr modes are almost always used in a modem situation I didn't
bother looking for a replacement.

Regards,

John