[pskmail] Re: RXTX error

  • From: "Per Crusefalk" <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:59:13 +0200

> tis 2009-08-25 klockan 21:15 -0400 skrev Greg:
>> The device I use on this netbook for xastir is /dev/usbacm0, or
>> something like. It is a usb gps receiver with no serial connection... I
>> could try using a serialport one with the adapter you mention unless you
>> can suggest a way to get jpskmail to recognize the usb one. Thanks
>> -Greg
>>

> Hi Greg,
>
> Can you open that port if you use minicom?
> Can you plug it in and try to lsusb?
>
> 73 de Per, sm0rwo

I sat thinking about this on the train to work. Isn't that device supposed
to be mounted as /dev/usb/acm0 and when the kernel recognizes the serial
port then it should get a /dev/ttyUSBX symlink? Is it such a new device
that the kernel does not yet recognize it?
When you use it from xastir, do you point it directly to /dev/usb/acm0 or
is there a /dev/ttyUSB0 created? Or, are you using gpsd with it?

When checking for serial ports I use rxtx and ask it to fetch all
available serial ports in the system. If the list comes back empty then I
put up that well known message. That way the user will only see the
available ports, if a usb device is connected then the drop down will show
the serial port for that. I did not consider trying to force open a port
the system does not recognize as a serial port, that can take some testing
and looking deeper into the rxtx project.

I guess the easy way to get around this right away would be to get a cheap
usb mouse that mounts a /dev/ttyUSBx port, the "GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS
Receiver" is $36.95 here:
http://www.buygpsnow.com/bu-353-353-bu-globalsat-gps-mouse-water-proof-receiver-sirf-stariii-usb-gps-water-bu-353-waas-455.aspx