[pskmail] Re: R: Re: Modes, comparison and usage

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:36:58 +1100

Hi,

This is a good table.

I am not sure if you guys picked up the interesting simulation done by Tony
(K2MO) on the pskr modes:

messages.

But it would suggest that pskr is not suited for NVIS.

Interestingly in my experience with 80M NVIS (150 to 200KM strait line
distance to server) PSKR seemed to have some advantage.

Is this your experience too or was I too "hopeful"?

Also, in the mode table can we add THOR8. I used it regularly for noisy band
conditions and it works a treat...just very slow: launch the client
application, connect, send the list of commands and get a cup (or two) of
tea, or better a nice fresh beer...it should be finished when you are.

Also, the speed for lower case and capital letters should be different for
the THOR modes since it also uses a varicode (the MFSK one) and it should be
about the same speed ratio than for the PSK varicode between the two.

I would suggest to include the MFSK modes too. MFSK32 gives a good balance
of speed and robustness and MFSK16 a good level of robustness although it
can be difficult to frequency align at times (this is especially true for
MFSK8 that I don't use at all for that reason despite it's great
sensitivity).

Best regards,

John