[pskmail] Re: R: Re: Hy from IK3DJC-5 (try to connect PI4TUE)

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 20:02:34 +0100

Hi Roberto,

The timeslots we use allow the server to scan several frequencies and
modes. Its in part a mix of 2nd and 3rd gen ALE but thats not important.
The server scans during minute 0-4 and can use one default mode and
frequency per minute. The scan loop goes on and on so minute 5 of the
hour is minute 0 in the loop and so on.
Lets say that the server scans 80,40,30,20 and 17 meters. Its one minute
on each frequency and all the servers update their scan table on the
wiki, that way you can find what frequency and mode the server is on.
So, if you would like to try 30 meters then the server in the example is
there during minute 2. So, you should set minute 2 and the server name
on the client and it will handle beacons etc on the proper minute.

If we compare that to ALE (2nd gen like in PC-ALE, multipsk etc) then
those clients have no way of knowing when the server will listen on a
certain frequency. Thats why they have to call a very long time, so long
that they can be certain the server has completed the scan loop and has
listened on the calling frequency. We dont have to do it that way, all
the servers are ntp synced and if the client has fairly good time sync
too then it can just call on the proper minute and be sure the server
listens right away (no endless jamming call sequences).

At the moment several servers monitor 30 meters during several minutes
so you are not limited to just one minute.

I hope that explained it.

73 de Per, sm0rwo