[pskmail] Re: Questions

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:22:38 +0200

Figured I should let Rein answer these but I think I had better not let
you wait further.

ons 2007-10-03 klockan 15:04 -0400 skrev Goody K3NG:
> A couple thoughts and questions I had:
>
> 1. When a client sends out a beacon, the server sends out an
> unidentified "QSL".  Theoretically multiple servers may simultaneously
> QSL, so the client and everyone else listening can't really tell who
> is responding.  Can it be made so the server waits a random number of
> seconds (0 to 10) and responds with something like:
>
> <US>QSL K1ABC DE K3NG<EOT>
>
> This way everyone can see when multiple servers can "see" a client and
> servers can even see other servers (beyond just hourly beacons).  This
> feature could be expanded later and come in handy for the
> server-to-server protocol or building routing tables.
>
> Also, in the US everyone needs to identify every ten minutes.  The
> server sends out an identified beacon every hour, so technically if a
> "QSL" doesn't happen within ten minutes of a beacon or client traffic,
> it's unidentified and illegal, I think.

Absolutely, I was going to point you to where you can edit it but I saw
that you had found that anyway. I have been thinking along these lines
too and I'll have a look at your code. I'm not sure abt status of our
subversion server at the moment, if Rein has uploaded the latest that
is, but it would be good if we could use that for these things (no
patching). I'll have a look at that too.

> 2.  I've been watching server logs and I think I have a decent
> understanding of how things work.  I don't quite understand the
> "missing=" parameter.  It shows some data when there are
> unacknowledged packets on the other end (i.e. good != end), but it's
> not always numeric.  Is this a binary encoded parameter that
> enumerates the frame numbers that are missing?  How do you decode it?
> Could it just be outputted in the log already decoded like:
>
> missing= 13,16,17
>
> Also, what is the meaning of the 'last' parameter?  I always seems to
> be a few behind 'good' and 'end'.

I'll pass that one and leave it for Rein.

> 3.  It doesn't appear that server transmissions are logged, other than
> the Disconnect message.  Could all transmit data be logged, along with
> the "decoding" of what the message is like is done with received
> messages?

Did you mean in server.log? Well, sure. Its just a question of adding
more logging (if its not there already).

> 4.  Can multiple clients be connected to a server at once?

Not in the arq sense, aprs is unconnected and that works.

> 5.  Could the logs more clearly identify who connected and
> disconnected, like:
>
> 16:05 UTC Oct-3-2007: > Disconnect: K1ABC

One more for the to do list, shouldn't be a problem.

> 6.  I noticed during idle time of a client/server connection that
> there's a lot of redundant status messages tossed back and forth, and
> usually there is a disconnect after some time.  Are the status
> messages going back and forth really necessary?  What is the criteria
> for a disconnect to occur?

Leave that for Rein too :-)

> 7.  I'm getting a lot of "Use of uninitialized value" errors on line
> 1232 in arq.pm.  Looking (very briefly) at the perl code, I see
> "$Hislastblock" however everywhere else there's a variable called
> "$HisLastblock" (note the case difference with the L).  If I recall
> correctly, Perl is case sensitive and these would appear to be
> different variables and perhaps a bug?

Ahh, so that was the problem. I had a look at that too but failed to see
the difference between those two. Sounds like a probable cause!

/Pär