[pskmail] Re: Question

  • From: Remi Chateauneu <remi.chateauneu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 19:27:51 +0000

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Gunnar Bulukin <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No I have not told anyone on fldigi mailing lists.
>
> This issue has been around for a long time and Rein and Per has tried to
> inform the people behind fldigi with no result.

Last year, I had a talk with John Douyere to fix a bug in fldigi, as I
learned it by chance only:

//www.freelists.org/post/pskmail/FLDIGI-Hangs,20

This time I was not aware of this problem.

> The script that Rein made works but the change should be done in fldigi and
> not with workarounds in Pskmail.
> There was a discussion before that pskmail never will work with fldigi due
> to pskmail and there was nothing wrong with fldigi!

I heard of this kind of argument a long time ago and I agree with you.
To be honest I am not very happy about the way code changes are
progressing in fldigi. I added the Fax and Navtex modems and it took
months to see them released. Same for small ug fixes. Now I have added
a Synop decoded. It works OK on Linux and I would like to release it
as an unstable version to Windows users: No way: I am waiting for
several months for just a couple of hours of work. I started this
Synop decoded more end of 2011. Sometimes, this is getting very boring
for me too. I would have liked to help for your problem, but as I
told, the information does not flow.

> I am not the person to know what is right or wrong but one thing I know is
> that trying to teach the group of sailors, that I work with, how to get
> Pskmail up and running is worthless, mostly because I can not get it up
> running myself.
> They know most everything about how to sail but computer knowhow is low.
> If Pskmail should reach more people then "computernurds" it must be much
> easier to install and work.
> I think that the V2 version is the way to go.
> It took me one hour to get RMS Express using Winmore with both a Rigblaster
> and a SB-2000 working.
> It was with getting the new xxx@winlink mail address and doing the
> radioconfirmation (via Telnet!) to get it up running the other night when we
> had a radiocourse at the club.

I would love to learn to do that !

> I did not know anything before from using that system but the club members
> needed to learn how-to!!
> To get V2 up running we could each test a specific part of it, for example
> different rigs and interfaces, under the supervision of Per and Rein and
> give the test results back to them. That way we would take some load of
> there shoulders, and having to buy Rein beer would not be so expensive ;-)
>
> Skype meeting???

I am at work unfortunately :)