[pskmail] Re: Pactor and narrow modes on 30m

  • From: "Demetre Valaris - SV1UY" <sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:28:23 +0300

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:50:37 +0200, Roberto IS0GRB wrote
> My question is:
>
> Is very necessary to use Pactor in 30m band?
> The band plan say 500Hz narrow mode, but pactor2-3 is not a narrow
> mode, i think..; in a band where all other experimental modes are in
> testing to hear always pactor is very destructive..
>
> Best 73
>
> Roberto IS0GRB

Hi Roberto,

PACTOR 2 is perfectly legal on 30m since it is a 500 Hz digital mode, just
like narrow OLIVIA etc.

PACTOR 3 on the other hand should not be used on 30m since it is 2.4 KHz
wide, just like wide OLIVIA, etc.

I do not think we should start a WIDE vs NARROW digital modes war here in
Europe, since IARU REGION 1 regulations are clear and they cater for all
modes.

In my country there are no set regulations by the ministry of Communications
concerning the bandwidth that each mode occupies, so we all follow the IARU
recomendations and we have no provlems. If anyone makes a mistake we just
talk to them and usually we have no problems.

In USA there are many lawyers lately that argue all the time on the Internet
newsgroups and mailing lists against the digital wideband modes and the
automatic mailboxes. I don't know when do they find the time to have a QSO.
Let the americans be good lawyers instead of good radio hams. I don't think
we should follow their example.

In Europe there is room and special allocations for all modes, wide and
narrow alike, and also there is room for automatic digital modes as well as
QSO digital modes. IARU allows narrow and wide modes in most bands and also
automatic digital operations in most bands.

I don't think there are any destructive modes OM. There might be a few
annoying users that might interfer with your QSO, or your radio e-mail
transfer, but I don't think we should call PACTOR a destructive mode!

If we "all" listen before we transmit then we should be OK. That is the
problem as far as I'm concerned. And this applies to all hams, not only
PACTOR users.

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx