[pskmail] Re: Packages

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:52:49 +0200

Hmm..., you getting closer :) There are, however, still some problems.
These would not exist if you would use the install scripts, as they take care
that
everything goes into the right place. The new 'update_server' script is going
very
far in this respect. Maybe it helps if I explain what it does:

* Download a file 'server_version'
* Look at the version that is currently installed
* If they differ, download the new archive (the current one is 0.7.4)
* untar the archive
* make a copy of the existing ~/.pskmail/pskmailrc.pl and
~/.pskmail/qrgs/freq.txt
* copy the new executables to /usr/local/bin and
/user/local/share/pskmail_server
* remove ~/.pskmail
* make a new ~/.pskmail and copy the relevant files into it
* restore the old pskmailrc.pl and freqs.txt files

All this is done automatically by the upate_serfer script.
You see it is intended to take all the work off your hands :)
Version 0.7.4 includes bug fixes for the errors you found until now.

Anyway, I think we should try to get the update_server script to work so we
don't have to bother
anymore.... Having said that, please try it. It may help to change the paths
pskmailrc.pl so they
are te same as in the pristine copy available in the archive (all paths should
start with $ENV{HOME}/.psmail/).

Now the comments to the mail below:
* aprslog is automatically touched (~/.pskmail/aprslog)
* instead of changing the path to the freqs.txt file you should put it where it
belongs,
in ~/.pskmail/qrg/freqs.txt
* as pskmail_server is in /usr/local/bin you do not have to use sudo to run it.
In fact, it only presents new problems as the files made by the server will now
be made as root,
which will generate lots of errors as soon as the server wants to write on them
in user mode...
* the hamlib error can be solved by giving rigctl the right parameters in
pskmailrc.pl.

Most of these problems should be over as soon as you use the install script or
the
update_server program. (I hope).

This is a bit of a nuisance, but the world will be a much better place as soon
as we've got this running :)

(the problem is, of course I don't get these errors on my system, so we need
you to find them!)