[pskmail] Re: PSKmailservers in the Pacific

  • From: Demetre SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 09:31:19 +0300

>Subject: [pskmail] Re: PSKmailservers in the Pacific
>From: Jack Chomley <radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 09:59:54 +1000
>>On 28/04/2012, at 8:30 AM, Christian Wagner <wagnerschristian@xxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote:
>>
>> Since crossing the Pacific is serious stuff, also look into Winmor as
>> backup.
>> They have more servers and are more developed than PSKMail.
>>
>> Snip>>
>
>Personally, I would invest in an SCS Pactor modem and operate on the Winlink
>or Sailmail service.
>In sailing a vessel worth many tens of thousands of dollars and for the safety
>of those onboard, it's not wise to >cheapskate on communications.
>You have problems in the middle of the Pacific? It's a long swim.......to a
>public phone booth, to make a call for >help :-)
>
>73,
>
>Jack VK4JRC

He he he,

You are spot on Jack as usual. PSKmail using FLDIGI is fine as a toy,
at least for the time being, but when it come to real life, nothing
can beat PACTOR II, III and IV. And all you need to run it is a humble
old netbook. Even an ancient ASUS eeePC701 4G Surf works for me here!

As I have said in the past, I wish PSKmail would support hardware
modems, especially PTC-II or Pedragon modems which are backward
compatible. This way PSKmail would support Pactor I-IV and also Robust
Packet Radio! Then it would be a fantastic system, much better than
WINLINK2000.

--
73 de SV1UY
Demetre Ch. Valaris