[pskmail] Re: PSKmailservers in the Pacific

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:08:03 +1000

Taking isolated land locations (like we have in some parts of VK) and sea
emergencies as examples I am still convinced that in a real emergency
relying on a complex messaging system of any kind is taking extra risks.

The time factor is generally short, the capacity of the operator may well
be reduced and access to the gear itself may well be impossible and that
assuming that it is in a working condition.

Hence my view that apart from an EPIRB all the other modes of messaging
have a real chance of not being able to be used at all (including a Sat
phone) or introduce extra failure points (like the SPOT concept that relies
on an individual to pass on the emergency message).

Add to the above the unreliability of HF propagation and I see all
communication equipment using such channels are not much more
than convenience rather than real emergency gear no matter the cost of the
solution.

Medical conditions on the other hand may see the Sat phone having an edge
as two way exchanges of information is more important and the time factor
less critical.

So from my point of view it is more a question of how much you value your
life, and how much you understand what is likely to be of real use in an
emergency.

So I believe Per's comments were spot on (no pun intended).

Mind you, in 1492 there was no EPIRB (nor Pskmail nor WINLINK etc...) on
board the Santa Maria and that did not prevent Mr Colombus and crew to sail
into the unknown!

73, John