[pskmail] Re: PSKmail and TransArctic expedition

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:45:56 +0100

I am working on a java class for the RX... maybe we should aim for a quick shot
that does:
1* read the gps
2* auto + manual send APRS posit beacons
3* Send APRS messages
4* Receive QSL's
5* Receive APRS messages
6* Receive bulletins

with a very simple GUI (just a few buttons + a terminal like structure),
and a simple config file holding the client + server calls and the last gps
data...

That should be very easy and fast to do...

I am working on the guts of 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, the RX class becomes ready next
weekend. Need help on the GUI and (1*).
I think we would need a GUI with 1 textarea for receive, 1 textfield for
sending message lines , buttons for ping, link and beacon...,
he next version would then include a drop down list for the servers...

On the subject of bands:
40 meters is MURDER because of the qrm...

On the subject of modem speed:
There are 2 criteria, modem speed and qrm.
A psk31 message takes 2x as long as a PSK63 message, which doubles the chance
of qrm.
In my experience the shorter message length is more critical than the modem
speed (which sets
the sensitivity level). Choosing the right time of day has more influence than
slow modem speed.
That is the reason why we have chosen to go for faster modem speed and shorter
message
length!!