[pskmail] Re: PSKmail and TransArctic expedition

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:51:55 +0100

Hi Oleg,

I understand that you need to use window$, there are several options for
running a pskmail client on that pc. There is the live cd/usb that you
can use, that requires a reboot so you may find that a bit impractical
if you have to have windows stuff running.
You can also virtualize, for instance run a virtual linux machine under
virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org/
That way you'll have the complete linux client running in its own
window, all your other stuff runs unaffected.

I use virtualbox at work at times, my pc runs linux but I may want to
test something with windows xp as well so I just start the virtual
machine and do that. Its really simple, and free, so you can try it now.

The other option is to wait for the windows version. I don't know the
status of that. But, if I were to go on such a trip I would like to
bring something that has been tried and tested thoroughly. Please don't
get me wrong, I'm sure the current windows porting effort is very nice
but I'm just saying that it may need a testing period first?

Also, I have a java pskmail client in the works. That runs on windows,
macs and linux and all others that support a java runtime. But, I have
had little time to devote to it so its not ready yet.

Regarding the traffic I can have the server scan several frequencies and
modes. It would be good to have a test setup going for a while before
you leave for that expedition. I can customize the scan table and devote
the server to supporting your expedition, mode selection can be a whole
range at first and when we see what works I can narrow the mode changes
down.

What kind of antenna and output will you be using? The predictions I
pointed to earlier ( http://www.crusefalk.se/sm0rwo/ ) were made with
the assumption that a short vertical was used at your end.

Btw nice photos!

73 de Per, sm0rwo