[pskmail] Re: PSKMail from near Sacramento CA

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:58:13 +1100

Hi John,

To add to Rein's responses, I have done also a lot of NVIS Pskmail, meaning
that in the 40 to 600 miles region from my server I have had very good
results with this type of propagation. The THOR, MFSK and PSKR modes give
the best results.

I use low (down to 6 feet, but with low power double that would probably be
better) horizontal antennas. I have used G5RVs succesfully but in my
experience an half wave end-fed antenna gives better results: a 134 feet
wire will tune nicely as end-fed on all bands (except 60M) if you have the
room. I have built this for my 5Watts FT-817:
http://www.qrpproject.de/Media/pdf/MultibandfuchsEnglish.pdf (see the
"English Manual" link).

Frequency choice is important and here at around 30 degree latitude I use
80M (mostly evenings and nights) and 40M (mostly mid-morning to afternoon).
With 60M soon available  for digital modes in the US, that band could be of
value too.

On sandy or rocky grounds a horizontal reflector (5% longer than a
half-wave) on or close to the ground under your antenna gives a good signal
enhancement too.

Setting up a server is not difficult and I have a friend who set-up his on
Windows using the Cygwin shell and that works very well plus integrates
nicely with his other applications if that is the OS you are using.

Sorry if I stated the obvious.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

73,

John (VK2ETA)