[pskmail] Re: PSKMAIL Server- Linux Question

  • From: "karel Fassotte" <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:03:30 -0500

Thanks Per we will have a look at it.
73
Karel

2006/11/6, Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Karel and Bob,

My laptop has unfortunately broken down, Dell D600, and I have just
received a new one (Dell D610). That means I have not removed the "OS"
that is preinstalled yet and so I have no way of looking at a linux
desktop here at work today. With that said I recommend that you have a
look at the sound system settings in the control center. The control
center, not the kde one, is located withing the configuration menu and is
called something like "configure your computer". Open that, and log on as
root, and have a look at the sound card settings on the hardware tab. You
should be able to configure ALSA or OSS and choose a proper driver (if
that is not already done). There could be a button for "trouble shooting"
there as well and that will tell you:

"lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO" will tell you which driver your card uses by
default.
"grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf" will tell you what driver it currently
uses.
"/sbin/lsmod" will enable you to check if its module (driver) is loaded or
not.
"/sbin/chkconfig --list sound" and "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsa" will tell
you if sound and alsa services are configured to be run on initlevel 3.
"aumix -q" will tell you if the sound volume is muted or not.
"/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp" will tell you which program uses the sound card.

73 de Per, sm0rwo

> Hello Per and Bob,
> We also had some problems with the soundcard drivers, alsa, in our
> industrial PC.
> We cant get the audio working correctly. So if there is anything new we
> should know about, it would helpfull. In this platform we use the server
> installation, as described in the PSKmail home page. All seems to work
but
> the audio.
>
> I tried the live server CD in another platform, using the creative
> soundblaster. In this platform we had no porblems at all the get the
> server
> on the go.
> Yesterday, we did run the server all day. It also connected to the APRS
in
> the netherlands. There is something I don`t know what to fill in the
> configuration. In the server configuration ern APRS password is asked.
> What
> password do I fill in?
> 73
> HC1AKP
> PE2KFA
> Karel
>

> 2006/11/6, Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Great that you managed to use the live installer!
>> I was a bit worried that I hadn't covered all the dependencies for
that,
>> boot loader was one issue. Anyway, now I know everything was in there.
>>
>> Regarding your sound troubles it could be the old issue of arts, alsa
>> and osd fighting for your sound card. Alsa is a fairly new way of
>> handling sound and osd was king before that. KDE uses artsd as a layer
>> on top in order not to hog the sound resources completely. You could
>> first try to shut down the sound server kde uses, you do that through
>> the menu system/configuration/KDE/sound.../sound server (cant see the
>> menu now, should be called something along those lines).
>>
>> 73 de Per, sm0rwo
>>
>> mån 2006-11-06 klockan 00:59 -0500 skrev radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
>> > Thanks Kyle for the explanation about gmail.
>> >
>> > I am very new at Linux (two weeks now) and am using this PSKMAIL
>> > installation to learn Linux and hope to get PSKMAIL up and
running.  I
>> > have managed to download the PSKMAIL server CD and do a live install
>> > to my hard disk. This was the only way I could get audio working on
my
>> > old Thinkpad 600E. I now have PSKserver installed and audio works
fine
>> > making system noises- For example, when I open KPSK I get the sound
of
>> > glass breaking out of my speakers but I get a message that reads "
>> > Unable to open audio device" and KPSK does not open.
>> >
>> > When I open GMFSK I get a message that says "sound open for read:
>> > opensnd: open:/dev/dsp: No such file or directory". When I close this
>> > error message gmfsk is on the desktop and I can activate it ( Send
CQ)