[pskmail] PSKMAIL Server- Linux Question

  • From: radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 00:59:24 -0500

 Thanks Kyle for the explanation about gmail.

 I am very new at Linux (two weeks now) and am using this PSKMAIL
installation to learn Linux and hope to get PSKMAIL up and running.  I
have managed to download the PSKMAIL server CD and do a live install to
my hard disk. This was the only way I could get audio working on my old
Thinkpad 600E. I now have PSKserver installed and audio works fine
making system noises- For example, when I open KPSK I get the sound of
glass breaking out of my speakers but I get a message that reads "
Unable to open audio device" and KPSK does not open.

 When I open GMFSK I get a message that says "sound open for read:
opensnd: open:/dev/dsp: No such file or directory". When I close this
error message gmfsk is on the desktop and I can activate it ( Send CQ)
but I get no sound out. As I say, The sound works as I get system
sounds but none out of these two programs.

 I had to do a special install of the sound drivers using alsaconf and
it found the drivers for the Thinkpad 600 and installed them. I know
the program is telling me what to do in the error message but being new
to linux I don't understand.

 Any help from the list would be appreciated.

 73 Bob WD8QLY