[pskmail] Re: PSK Mail Dumb question

  • From: Michael Schrody <kd7tkq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

I've just recently started doing digital modes myself. So far I've been having
a ball with it.

I like SignaLink USB since it leaves my sound card free to make computer
sounds. Unfortunately, the product is so popular that they are always 6-8 weeks
behind, so I am still waiting for mine.

In the meantime, while I'm still waiting for mine, I am using, believe it or
not, acoustic coupling. Sounds ridiculous, but it works if you are careful.
After all, in the early days of computers the modems were acoustically coupled
and did faster rates than we are doing on HF radio.

My radio's microphone fits perfectly in the padded earcup of a set of
headphones which are plugged into the computer. The rig's VOX does the keying.
For receive audio I put the computer microphone on the radio speaker and cover
it with a towel for a bit of acoustic insulation. I don't imagine too many
people will try this (nor will I once my interface arrives) but it's good to
know it works in a pinch.

- Mike

Blessed is the person who can laugh at himself - he'll never cease to be amused.