[pskmail] Re: POP3 problem with server

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:18:28 +0100

Fred,

The server now uses Mail::POP3Client for POP, and it will not work if it has
not been installed.
And to install it you will need to install the other, SSL related modules.
It is not really difficult if you follow the instructions of cpan, especially
where it asks for a specific version of OpenSSL.

All this hassle is necessary in order to be able to POP from authenticating
servers like gmail.

I am busy with a bundled version of the server (and the client) which is like a
'staticly linked' version.
The idea is that is contains all required modules, even the perl compiler (and
interpreter) itself.
I am experimenting with it at the moment, but that is not easy where I am now.
Would be easier to do that in the 'lab' hi... But I have all the modules now on
the laptop an I will see what I can do. It will be BULKY and it will take for
ages to start, but it is supposed to be convenient.

Meanwhile, it is an interesting puzzle game to install those Perl modules. I
found that cpan will NOT install most modules automatically. But there is a
pattern:
* use cpan to download all stuff for you.
* when it asks to automatically fetch a dependency, say [y].
* when it says it cannot make the module:
: goto ~/.cpan/build
: cd into the directory of the module
: get root priviledge
: in that directory do:
:+ 'perl Makefile.PL'
:+ 'make'
:+ 'make test'
:+ 'make install'
Then start the game again by asking cpan to install the original module.
It will now not download the stuff (it did that already) but try to make it,
and when that fails you now know what to do,until you have resolved all
dependencies and done the 'make install' of the module you wanted in the first
place.

I just installed lots of Mail::XX modules for the server, and the above
procedure worked in all cases.

Rein EA/PA0R/P

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com