[pskmail] Re: PACTOR III

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:43:34 +0100

I cannot say, I would need a Pactor 3 box to measure throughput.
At a bandwidth of 2400 Hz that would make about 2 bits / Hz / second.
A good value for the price of the unit + the extra pactor 3 licence.

To make a comparison, typical pskmail speed is 6.1 characters/second at 250 Hz
bandwidth.
That is using attached test file at PSK250, which takes 110 seconds to transfer.
(including arq overhead, measured over the air, no qrm, no compression).

To be comparable pactor 3 should do at least 60 characters/second, so it sounds
reasonable.

Mind you pskmail's philosophy is not highest speed but low power, and much of
the
compression is reached by throwing away 80% of the email content before
transfer...

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com