[pskmail] Re: Other improves in a server

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:53:26 +0200

I have a 'fldigi simulator', which allows me to run a client and a server on 1
laptop.
This was perfect for debugging the server. This was based on the 'old' file
system
interface, and does not work anymore since version 0.5 which uses message
queues.
So maybe I will write a new simulator based on message queues some day.

I use mainly 2 ways to debug now:

1: The PI4TUE test server is running under vnc, so I have the desktop here in
the shack
2: I also use the portable system in my camper, also running on vnc.
Advantage of using a HF link is that you can also debug the timing, which is
the most
tedious aspect of an arq system. If I would get paid for the hours I am
debugging links
I could buy YOU a Ferrari...

I could maybe add a telnet socket to the server for debugging purposes.

Of course the server is using standard tcp ports for getting mail and web pages.

You don't see them as they are only active when you POP (110, 495), SMTP (25)
or
WGET (80). These are all outgoing connections which die after they do their
duty.

I am thinking of adding a telnet agent in the client, to connect to conference
bridges etc.,
but I am afraid that would block the server for a long time. So maybe I will
only do it
for remote maintenance.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com