[pskmail] Re: Now running fldigi 3.13BL and jpskmail 0.4.0.3 - some first experience from a beginner

  • From: Rein Couperus PA0R <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:17:31 +0100

> I am slowly making progress...
>

> Removing the initial link-attempt in jpskmail was an improvement, I feel a
> bit more comfortable with jpskmail now (thanks, Per). Looking forward to a
> revised manual, though!
>
> I do miss a single "stand-by" button which would prevent jpskmail from
> transmitting until toggled again. I can understand that the initial design
> aimed at a situation where a single frequency would mostly be used, but when
> switching between bands and fiddling with the antenna tuner, I am not
> entirely sure about how to handle the running jpskmail during the procedure.
> Seems most safe to shut it down and start it up again after re-tuning the rig.

On the APRS tab you find the togglers for Beacon and Autolink.
When both are OFF jpskmail will not transmit.

> A couple of days ago I managed to get linked - and almost connected - to
> DK4XI-80 in the evening. But I had set up my mail parameters incorrectly, of
> course :-[ .
>
> For antenna, I am using  a 22m end-fed wire about 8-10m above ground.

Have you tried IS0GRB-3/SM0RWO on 10147?

> 30m is dead here after dark, maybe due to the low hanging horizontal antenna
> in combination with a generally high ambient noise level. I can see that the
> servers manage to occasionally get something through on 30m after dark.

I can hear IS0GRB-3 until 22:00 UTC, but 5W is too little to work on 30m in the
evening.
Have you tried to use DA5UWG on 80 meters? VK2ETA uses THOR22/THOR11 in the
evening on 80,
PSK modes have problems there because of Doppler and multipath resulting in
deep QSB.
I am living near Eindhoven airport, and when a plane starts I cannot use
PSK500. PSK500R has a
lot less problems with that.

> During the daylight today on 30m, I manged to get a QSL-response to an
> APRS-posit from S54FAA-0 and later another APRS-posit was picked up, but I am
> not sure which server picked it up. Here is the raw APRS-packet from
> findu.com:
>
> OZ1QT-1>PSKAPR,TCPIP*,qAS,OH9RHF-3:!5546.20N/01229.40E-jpskmail 0.4.0.3
> testing
> (I also entered the qth coordinates slightly wrong, of course, so the above
> position is a few kilometers too far to the south, but that's another story).

The server is OH9RHF. Unfortunately it is listening on PSk250, PSK250R would be
a lot better for QRP.
You can use modes like MFSK16 or THOR11 on the multispeed servers on 10147.
With jpskmail-0.4.0.3 RSID
TX will be on automatically while sending a beacon.

> I know that running BPSK500 with only 5W is something of a challenge, but it
> seems to be possible and I am still optimistic, particular with regard to the
> work that has now been done on FEC, RSID and dynamic mode adaptation.

Problem is that the Intermar servers on 10148 are not (yet?) using FEC. The
servers on 10147 running PSK500R are less
sensitive to QRM/QRN. We are also thinking about asymmetrical mode operation,
where QRP stations can
transmit on a narrow mode while the server uses e.g. PSK500R/PSK500. This will
take some time though...

Rein Couperus PA0R <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>