[pskmail] Re: Next conference, pre planning session

  • From: Jack Chomley <radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:19:16 +1000

On 24/09/2011, at 6:53 AM, John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In regards to the Pskmail conference I would like to put only one point
> forward:
>
> We do not have enough servers in the Pacific area.
>
> I have spend many hours helping other OMs trying and setting up servers, with
> some far and way from here.
>
> Although it was a pleasure to do so, I am convinced that that time would have
> been better spend explaining how to use Pskmail rather than helping with
> installing Linux on their machines.
>
> At the end of the day, in my case, the Linux install represents the great
> great majority of the time spend with the new Pskmail stations and I believe
> is THE key impediment to the addition of new servers is this region.
>
> Again this week I have spent several hours (unsuccessfully) helping an OM,
> who has upgraded his server's machine, reinstall Puppy Linux on his new
> machine for a dual boot.
>
> It creates a feeling of "why does it has to be so hard?" in the new users
> when it should be a simple download and configure exercise.
>
> So that's my only request for the conference: since we already have a good
> framework in the Java client for connected exchanges can we add the mail and
> web services (at least the basic ones). We would then have a nice new tab:
> "Server".
>
> This will fit nicely in the one stop shop concept of the modem integration.
>
> 73, John

John,

I have lurked here for a long time and watched you, Rein and Per, along with
many others put an immense effort into PSKmail. I had a go in the earlier days,
and after many Puppy CDs, which now reside in the paddock next to my house, I
gave it away.
Not because of PSKmail, but because of Linux, of which I tried several flavours
along the way.  Not having the knowledge of an ever changing O/S was the
problem.......it was always a situation of where my problems were.......in the
O/S or in PSKmail?  I could get it to work sometimes not others, I changed
machines and then other different problems arose and I guess in the finish that
was the reason for my personal abandonment of PSKmail, at the time.
I still read the list msgs and maybe will pluck up the courage to have another
go, one day.

73,

Jack VK4JRC