[pskmail] Re: Newbie needs help

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:54:30 +0100

Being european I'm used to not having speed limits, I prefer to go as
fast as possible. The fastest mode is at the moment PSK500, that mode
requires a very nice connection so most of the time the connection will
fall back to PSK500R which is much more robust but still very fast.
I am aware that US hams have to limit their speed on HF to 300 bauds (if
they are not doing image transfer,then they may go as fast as they like?
strange rule).
A wider signal will require a better signal to noise ratio, a narrow
signal will limit the speed and will have longer transmissions. Longer
transmissions are more prone to errors. So, its a tradeoff and pskmail
can help maintain the connection and automatically switch to a faster or
more robust mode for you (within the rules of course).
Bottom line is you wont have to choose, the client will monitor the
connection and adapt the mode to the current conditions.

73 de Per
SM0RWO