[pskmail] Re: New version of Android Pskmail: version B0.99.04

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Unname <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:39:27 +1000

Hello Marcel,

Yes QRM is an issue especially in cities. I have S9 noise on 20 metres at
home.

For the APRS emails, this is done in un-connected mode like Pings and
Position Reports and therefore is done in the APRS screen in the text area
where the comments are entered. Pressing enter when the text contains an
email address as starting word will send a short email assuming you have
your user email details entered in the server that receives your message
(it needs your return address info to show who the sender is).

Note that as it is sent in unconnected mode, there is no
split-up/re-combination of your message as when in connected mode,
therefore the message is sent in one single packet.

This means two things: 1) The longer your message, the more chances of it
not being received without error and 2) The slower and more robust modes
are a better alternative to ensure the message arrives undamaged.

BUT, if sending the message to a scanning server, make sure the message
fits in a one minute period. In my experience the best option is to send
the message at 10 seconds in the minute to ensure the server has changed
frequency as that also leave at least 50 seconds of transmission for the
message. I use MFSK32 / 16 or THOR22 / 11 for these messages.

I use these quite a bit here with a third party service that forwards
emails to mobile phone SMSes in the format "
MobilePhoneNumer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx MyMessageHere".

All the best,

73, John (VK2ETA)