[pskmail] Re: New to PSKmail

  • From: Goody K3NG <goody.k3ng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:45:02 -0400

Hello Rein,

I'd be happy to write some documentation; I do this at work often and usually receive compliments. For some odd reason I tend to enjoy it. This isn't intended to be a criticism, however the documentation on the website despite being good and plentiful seems a bit disjointed, like the information needs to be pulled together in a different fashion to make it flow better for a new user. Would you prefer suggested updates based on the existing material or entirely new content? My first inclination is to write something that "fits" in between the Overview for Beginners and the Quick Start guide. The Quick Start guide itself could use more explanations of the settings I think. Anyways, I'm at your and the PSKmail community's service :-)

One other technical question that I'm sure has been asked and I hesitate to bring up, is anyone thinking of a native Windows client? Java may be a good choice for this as it's cross-platform. It's good that a VMware method has been documented, though many folks will shy away from the perceived complexity of a VMware / live CD or native Linux installation. I'd volunteer for development of a Windows client, but right now I have my hands full with getting a dedicated client going, potentially a server, and I'm sure there's plenty to do in documentation at the moment.

73
Goody
K3NG

Rein Couperus wrote:
Hi Goody, nice to have you on board. There is a lot of opportunity for experimenting in pskmail, I think it is one of the front line activities of digital ham radio at the moment. And there is lots of room for helping to improve it. Especially on the documentation side. Every day I have to choose between 1: relaxing 2: improving pskmail (relaxing)
3: writing documentation (stress)
Most of the times 2: wins. I hope the user community will organize its own documentation so I can go on improving pskmail :) I think the wiki is a good place to do so.

There are a lot of plans on my  todo list, some of them being:
* Test and release server version 0.5
* Test the new protocol version I have developed for bad links with lots of QRN and QSB (with FEC and memory receive) * Use the time the server is idle (95% of the time) for HF interlinking with other servers without degrading the service level for users.
* Implement a telnet service on the server so you can connect to a
conference bridge

To answer your question about 'what if the internet goes down',
the clients can relay messages via the mail system in 'manned' mode.
This was a request from the EmComm people, who cannot always reach a server. And HF linking the servers is one of my pet projects. I am developing a DTN (Delay Tolerant Network) for the servers based on store-and-forward.
But all this is going to take lots of time, and I can use all the help I can
get :)

Greetings,

I just learned of PSKmail a couple of days ago and have been playing
with the Live CD.  I'm planning on firing up an instance of Ubuntu
either on a dedicated box or a VMware virtual machine to run PSKmail
more permanently.

I've been connecting to WB5CON and experimenting.  I sent one piece of
email yesterday, although I didn't have my settings uploaded, so it
appears to have sent the email out from a default account.  I haven't
been able to connect well tonight to experiment more.

I'm piecing together bits and pieces from the documentation, so this
system is starting to make sense to me.  One question I have is what if
the Internet "goes down" everywhere (the ultimate doomsday scenario :-)
)?  I understand each server can have its own mbox mail server.  Is
there going to be a provision to link servers together, kind of like a
server-to-server over-the-air SMTP and routing protocol?

PSKmail really intrigues me.  I'd like to write some documentation and
perhaps fire up a server here on the east coast of the US.  (I have
about 12 years experience on Linux and can do some Perl coding.)

73
Goody
K3NG
-- Blog: http://thek3ngreport.blogspot.com/