[pskmail] New puppy images and server update

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:50:43 +0100

1: I have uploaded an update for the server.

Only change is the new map indicator for APRS and Per's code for using gmail
smtp.
The latter is still problematic, as I have not yet found a way to make it work
for
anybody else than the owner of the server :)

The map indicator is easily changed by substituting the '/' in the position
string of the server
by a capital 'P'.  The map indicator will be a black diamond with a "P',
indicating
a pskmail gateway. We are changing this to enable filtering on Map Symbol on
sites
which plan to start using pskmail. I'd like to ask the server ops to change
this in their
pskmailrc.pl config file. E.g. the info for PI4TUE is now:
 # Aprs-is port - Position: ddmm.mmNPdddmm.mmEaServerstatus
 $Aprs_connect = 1;
 { # position with leading zero's !!
 my $latitude = "5126.80N";    # format: decimal degrees x 100 + decimal
minutes xxxx.xxN
 my $longitude = "00529.21E";  # format: decimal degrees x 100 + decimal
minutes xxxxx.xxE
 my $serverstatus = "PSKmail PSK250";

 $Aprs_beacon = $latitude . "P" . $longitude . "&" . $serverstatus; ## Fixes
symbol, don't change
 }

2: There is a new puppy image (pskmail_client.iso) containing:

* PSKmail client version 0.6
* Sylpheed mail client
* Fldigi 2.08
* gpsd
* Gpsdrive with some EU example maps
* One-button start of pskmail client (starts fldigi as well)
* Update routine to auto-update the CD in future

I made this simplified puppy image especially for new mobile pskmail users and
sailors wanting to use
pskmail with GPS connected. I have tested the GPS with ttyS0 and with ttyUSB0.
In future we could use the gpsdrive map to show a localized map with semi-live
data!
Gpsdrive croaks about starting it as root, you can ignore this.

Warning: Puppy does not like USB plug-and-play, you have to connect the USB
before
booting the Live CD!

Warning: Fldigi-2.08 does not remember the status of the 'TX lock' and 'Logging
on' parameters.
Don't forget to set them before use.

3: I have update the ham_pup puppy image with the latest server,
and the latest client (0.6). It also has an improved winkey driver.
New version is ham_pup-1.2.iso

We will start preparing the camper for the coming winter holidays/pskmail
testing session in the next days.
I hope to find time during our stay in sunny Spain to do some documentation
work.

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com