[pskmail] Re: New ham-puppy CD for download/ some Tips

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:46:32 +0100

Some hints which may be useful when you uprade from puppy-2.17:

When you boot the new CD for the first time use the 'puppy pfix=ram' option and
save the
config data into a new file.

As the new CD is based on puppy 3.01 you can have more than one save.sfs file
with different names.
You should boot with the 'puppy pfix=ram' option before generating a new
save.sfs file.
If you don't do that puppy will play havoc with menus and icons on your desktop.

If your computer has less than 256 MB RAM it helps to have a Linux swap file on
your hard drive.
Puppy wll find it and use it.

A good way to run puppy is to put in on a USB stick which can hold both the iso
and the save.sfs file,
and boot from the stick.

On a computer which cannot boot from USB you can boot from the CD and use a USB
stick for the save.sfs file.
You can take the CD out of the drive after booting.

On computers only running a server you can opt for saving the config data to
the CD. For this you need
to write the iso to CD without closing the CD. You can use the Burn2CD tool in
puppy for that.
USB sticks deteriorate after a (high) number of writes. Puppy takes care of
that by saving only every 10 minutes or so, but still...

When fast booting is important for you, you can put the pup_301.sfs file on
your windows disk, puppy will ask you if it should do that the first time you
run the new CD. The pup_301 file is static, it won't change on disk.
But it will help to boot puppy within 45 seconds. Compare that to the 3 minutes
UBUNTU 7.10 needs (not talking about VISTA).
I have this feature on computers I use often to do a quick email check.

Hope this helps,

Rein Pa0R

PS: You find the rxvt terminal in /usr/sbin. You can drag it onto the desktop
and it will stick there if you are lucky.
It is also in menu->utility.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com