[pskmail] New HOWTO on Monitoring CAT Commands

  • From: Ian Wade G3NRW <g3nrw-radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:17:38 +0000

Recently, while writing Excel VBA code for tools to manage the Kenwood TS-590S, I found the need to monitor the CAT commands issued by my software to the radio, and to check the responses from the radio.

I have now documented the procedures, in "How To Monitor Kenwood TS-590S CAT Commands". Following these procedures, you can monitor the CAT traffic between well-known applications (such as HRD, Fldigi, etc) and the radio, and also generate your own CAT commands using PuTTY.

Two other very useful utilities are briefly described: USBDeview and Portmon.

Although written primarily with the TS-590S in mind, the procedures are in fact usable with almost any radio that supports CAT commands.

To download the HOWTO, go to the TS-590S Resources Page:

   http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

Scroll down to the "HOWTOs" section, then click on the link:

"HOWTO monitor TS-590S CAT commands".

This is the first version of the HOWTO. If you have any feedback, or find any errors or misleading statements, please let me know.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW