[pskmail] Re: More PSKmail Questions

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:17:14 +0100

You can try to convince your server operator to provide a 'DX' calling channel.
That could be PSK63 (in EU we use PSK125 for DX) and sit on the same frequency.

The drawback of a PSK63 connect request packet is its length. It has 4x as much
chance of
being hit by qrm than a PSK250 packet. And qrm is the worst enemy of PSK, not
noise once
your signal strength is reasonable at the other end.

After a connect has been established pskmail will automatically adjust packet
length to fit
error rate. Our experience is that this has more positive effect than lowering
the speed,
but as I said, it is not forbidden to try.

At the moment PI4TUE and SM0RWO listen to PSK125 during the first minute of
every
5-minute period, and then switch to PSK250 for APRS beacons.

I am now testing a version on PI4TUE that can change the speed once connected,
and
also will QSY if you ask. This makes pskmail totally flexible and configurable
(we have
not been talking about changing the mode to e.g. dominoEX yet :)
PSK63 really gives me a nostalgic feeling, I have been using that quite a lot
during last years...

Still have to establish an easy way to tell the server where to go...
All this flexibility does not make it easier for the newbie user.
Will probably settle for 'QSY in 500 Hz chunks'.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com