[pskmail] Re: Lightweight, backpack "Pskmailing"

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:42:56 +0100 (CET)

For sound setup in the puppy CD: do alsamixer in a terminal
just follow the instructions... if nothing works, a simple USB headphone device
will...

Puppy has a phantastic wifi setup program:
Setup->Internet connection wizard

Rein EA/PA0R/M

==========

Hello Rein thanks for the short instructions.
I tried the live cd's first. (latest versions)
I found the fligi and pskmail files in the binaries. (thanks Per)
Problem with the live CD is the configurations of sound devices,also wifi won´t
work.
I don´t know what the server is doing. I tried to upload a mail via the server,
but did not get it through.
It would be nice to have flow diagram of the handling by server.
I just dont understand yet the steno of linux terminal.
If I have more specific questions. I will be back. It would be nice to have a
working PSKmail server in Latin America.
I feel quite lonely in this respect.
73
Karel

2011/2/12 Rein Couperus <[rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx]>

 Hi Karel,

 first of all, which live CD? there are several. Pse specifics....

 To install a server on UBUNTU, do the following:
 * Connect to the internet
 * Install fldigi
 * Download pskmail_server-1.0.32.tar.gz from
[http://hermes.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pskmail]
 * In a terminal do tar zxvf pskmail_server.tar.gz
 * cd pskmail_server-1.0.32
 * sudo ./INSTALL
 * answer yes to all questions
 * start fldigi
 * start pskmail_server in a terminal

 The server files are in /usr/local/share/pskmail_server

 To install a client on linux or windows,

 * connect to internet
 * install
 * download the installer of jPSKmail-0.8.5 for linux or windows
 * in linux, make installer executable
 * run installer
 * start fldigi
 * start jPSKmail

 73,

 Rein EA/PA0R/M

Hello all,
 Rein or Per, why is there no fldigi on the puppy live CD?
 I started it and is a nice puppy CD but no PSKmail, no FLDIGI.

 Returning to my earlier mail., questions. I need a step tp step instruction on
how to install PSKmail client en the PSK mail server on UBUNTU 10.1
 See below. I know how to start the terminal but the setup line respond that it
cant find the files or dirs.
 I have the installable save on my disk but cant with the terminal cannot find
them. Were should I put the installables to be installes in what dir or
whatever.

 Thanks
 Karel

 2011/2/11 karel Fassotte <[[karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx]]>

 Hello I am trying to setup pskmail server in Ubuntu, but I dont know where to
put the installable and how to execute the installation.
 I dont know anything of Linux.  Manuals step by step I need.
 When I try to start installation with a terminal session. I says It cant find
the files.
 The files are now in the download dir.
 Please some help.

 Another questions. I have a live CD that installes the server but when a try
to run a live cd client it installes the server not the client.
 What to do?

 73
 Karel
 HC1AKP

 2011/2/11 Per Crusefalk <[[per@xxxxxxxxxxxx]]>

 fre 2011-02-11 klockan 05:20 -0500 skrev Larry Levesque:

 > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 06:18:17AM +0100, Per Crusefalk wrote:
  > > Hi John,
  > >
  > > Sounds like a nice setup. I am not very fond of the g5rv but thats just
  > > me. I guess if its properly fed then it should be fine.
  > >
  > > > Maybe you guys can see better solutions. It would have been a great to
  > > > have a full Pskmail in my Android phone for that. Java is part of
  > > > Android so that should be workable but Fldigi is not available on that
  > > > platform.
  > >
  > > Well, actually fldigi has been ported to java by Franz-Josef Maas
  > > (DB3CF). It has a simple UI for testing but runs fine. I have been
  > > meaning to get an android phone and make it run under dalvik (the
  > > android java runtime) but I still lack a phone to test on.
  > >
  > > It will require some effort to get it to look nice but it does run in
  > > java so the worst should be done already...
  > >
  > > 73 de Per
  > > SM0RWO
  > >

  > And where would we find such a gem??

 On a CD here on my desk...
  It all started when we figured it would be nice to have the modem part
  included in the pskmail client. Franz-Josef did a very nice job of
  porting the necessary classes to java, he also built a simple user
  interface for testing. I have attached an image of that, nothing much to
  see there but it just shows that it does run on java and it works.

  At a later stage we decided not to include it anyway as we would then
  not benefit from all the hard work done by the fldigi group. But, it
  would make a very nice addition to an android phone. With this mornings
  announcement from Nokia I will immediately ditch my phone and get an
  android device so I would like to see this there as well.

  73 de Per
  SM0RWO