[pskmail] Javapskmail client testing

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:42:35 +0100

Hi all,

For the curious I have enclosed a copy of the java pskmail client.
Please note that this is a very, very early development release and as
such
is very limited in functionality. I am releasing this only as a "proof
of concept"
as it contains important parts that must work, one of which is the
handling
of the socket connection with fldigi.

I have had reports that it works with windows 2000, xp and linux and it
would
be nice if someone could test Mac OS X and perhaps BSD.

You can launch it by entering "java -jar javapskmail.jar" or by right
clicking and selecting "Java runtime" (varies what it says there).

If you lack java then the necessary runtime environment can be fetched
here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
For ubuntu I know its in medibuntu and for Mandriva I believe its in
plf.

You MUST use one of the newer fldigis, tested with 3.04AX and 3.04BE.
You can get that here: http://www.w1hkj.com/ateam/

Just start fldigi and then start javapskmail (it tries to connect to
fldigi on startup).

When the client is up you need to set your callsign, you do that by
selecting the preferences menu item under the edit menu. Just enter it
at callsign and close the menu using OK (saved only if you click OK).

You can then use the lower text field in the main window to send stuff.
If you want to send a pskaprs email then you enter something like:
"per@xxxxxxxxxxxx hello, testing the java client."

Sending emails requires that you are known at the receiving server.

If you want to send an APRS message to someone then you can enter:
"SM0RWO Testing the java client."

You may also use the ping button on the aprs tab.

Pse note that it doesn't show what is received just yet, you have to
look
at fldigi to see that now. Thats about it so far, not much but hopefully
its
proof that it works to build a client in java. Now I just need to build
the rest...

It would be nice to hear abt your test results, good or bad.

As for the development I am busy building the foundation, a
configuration
class with handling of permanent storage (a properties file) and logging
class to handle exceptions and basic program logging. I'm implementing
arq.pm in an arq class (as we are moving to an object oriented world
here)
and so on... Plenty of fun for the christmas holidays :-)