[pskmail] Re: Improved FEC for PSK modes

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:39:12 +0100

John,

I have been testing the FEC modes on-air, on PI4TUE. I have found the following
issues:

* The FEC modes are definitely a lot more robust than the raw PSK modes, so you
are
on the right track!
* Using FEC modes only, the auto speed switch works very well.

* The PSK500 FEC mode is too wide. It grabs 700 Hz bandwidth, which means we
can not use it as is
on 30 meters (only 500 Hz bandwidth allowed in Region 1).
Part of the problem is the preamble, which looks very hard-switched... The
'soft' bandwidth limiting nature
of PSK is completely gone, and we are bound to get trouble from neighbouring
channels when we leave it like this.
On the other hand, this preamble forces sync immediately.

* I have been testing an auto-switching combination of PSK250 FEC and PSK500
raw...
The raw PSK500 signal decoded only 20% of the time because the <SOH> character
at the
start of a block was not decoded, an extra  preamble of 'XX' did not help.
Looks like the raw signal decoding changed somewhat..  did
you test both raw and FEC sigs? I think PSK500 raw as the highest speed is
important, being 4x faster than PSK250FEC...

Needs some tuning, but the results are already impressive :)