[pskmail] Re: ICOM interfacing with pskmail_server

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:42:21 -0500

Hi Russell,

One of the things about at least some of the older Kenwood rigs such as the TS-440S is that a basic interface without rig control is easy to accomplish since they provided easily connected RCA phono connections to audio in and out and the VOX comes after that. It could not be simpler. The first Kenwood with good rig control is your 450S although it is theoretically possible to interface the 440 with adding some internal chips and an external RS-232 type converter. Needless to say, I would not go that route with such an old rig, HI.

The 440S also provides an easy way to key PTT and audio lines through the 13 pin DIN rear connector (different configuration than ICOM). Many years ago I made a breakout box with RCA phono jacks for PTT, audio in and audio out, plus a small switch that shorts one of the lines to ground and this mutes the mike without having to remove it from the rig. Used it for many years with different interfaces for everything from Pactor, Amtor, RTTY, computer generated CW, etc.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Russell Blair wrote:
Rick, to some of you question, I am using a Kenwood TS450S with Vox for PTT,
and during installation of the PSKmail server software I have no rig control in
fldigi, in the configuration of the server set up you tell it what kind of rig
your going to use, David help me set mine up, he looked some where and told me
what was the input for my Rig. Some of the other question are not for me.

Russell NC5O

Yesterday is HISTORY. Tomorrow is a MYSTERY. Today is a GIFT! Thats why its
called the PRESENT!

" IN GOD WE TRUST "
Russell Blair (NC5O)
  Skype-Russell.Blair