[pskmail] Re: How to start with PSKmail

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:13:12 -0500

Hi Nick,

It sounds as if you are doing the right things.

Since you are in Europe, you will have more stations to connect to than here in the U.S. And they operate on a wider number of bands than just 30 meters. If you have not gone to the:

http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/PSKmailservers

I would suggest taking a look at the various modes used. While most are PSK250, there are some at PSK125 and some scanning servers that listen for THOR22 and MFSK16 one or more minutes out of every five minute interval. While most servers are on 10.148 actual center frequency, there are a few on 80 and 40 meters that might work better for your distance to the server. Some servers can QSY up 500 Hz but I am not sure how that works.

So if you have a center frequency of 1000 Hz, you would set your USB dial frequency to 10.147 if on 30 meters. Then I would suggest sending a ping by going to the Link | Ping menu. This will bring up any servers that are available on your frequency. There may be more than one. If you can not raise any servers at that time, it may be that the propagation is not good for the distance to the server, and other bands may be considered.

After determining which station might be available, be sure your edit | options has your call and other information entered, which requires the callsign of the station you are trying to connect to. Then be sure that the edit | mail options has the correct mailbox information such as the popserver (I use an account at google's gmail - 'smtp.gmail.com' since I am not sure how to get other mail servers to work at this point.

I am not sure if the weather and other information works here in the U.S., but it should be OK in your part of the world. Hope this helps to get you a bit further.

For those in the U.S. :

If there is anyone near me, who would be interested in experimenting with my pskmail_server, I would be willing to set it up on different bands, including VHF, but primarily for NVIS operation.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Nikola Nikolov wrote:
Hi,

Being experienced with Winlink's Airmail and digi modes I would like to
give a try of PSKmail too. So far I have fldigi and pskmail installed on Ubuntu 9.04.
A dipole for 10 Mhz will be put up and together with my venerable TS-870
the PSKmail setup will be ready in a few days.

But what then ? On what frequency to call servers - on 10147 khz dial USB ?
Mode - PSK250 on fldigi ?
Once the QSO with server is established I must QSY to another
frequency ? If so on what freq ?
Etc. etc questions....

Well, it appears the procedures are not clear to me. And the whole
organization of the PSKmail system as well.
I have thought I could get some idea listening on the air and tracing
the procedures as followed by others. But listening for two days on
10147 Khz (USB Dial) with my 80 mtrs dipole I could hear NO PSKmail signal.

Browsing the net I could find a pdf file from Intermar which is helpfull
to some extent but not enough for a beginer.

It is said in the same file there are weather and navigational broadcast
from servers...  True ?

Any help, please ?

Best 73's !
De Nick - LZ1ZM