[pskmail] How to start with PSKmail

  • From: Nikola Nikolov <nnikolov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:25:22 +0300

Hi,

Being experienced with Winlink's Airmail and digi modes I would like to
give a try of PSKmail too.
So far I have fldigi and pskmail installed on Ubuntu 9.04.
A dipole for 10 Mhz will be put up and together with my venerable TS-870
the PSKmail setup will be ready in a few days.

But what then ?
On what frequency to call servers -  on 10147 khz dial USB ?
Mode - PSK250 on fldigi ?
Once the QSO with server is established I must QSY to another
frequency ? If so on what freq ?
Etc. etc questions....

Well, it appears the procedures are not clear to me. And the whole
organization of the PSKmail system as well.
I have thought I could get some idea listening on the air and tracing
the procedures as followed by others. But listening for two days on
10147 Khz (USB Dial) with my 80 mtrs
dipole I could hear NO PSKmail signal.

Browsing the net I could find a pdf file from Intermar which is helpfull
to some extent but not enough for a beginer.

It is said in the same file there are weather and navigational broadcast
from servers...  True ?

Any help, please ?

Best 73's !
De Nick - LZ1ZM