[pskmail] Re: Hi and my test on AndPSKmail

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:18:19 +1100

Bonjour Vivien et Bonne Annee,

Glad to see you are testing that application. Here are my comments:

1. For the Ice Cream Sandwitch issue I will look into this as there is a
change in the API, but I believe there was backward compatibility. If not I
can use a different Bluetooth function for ICS. So we should be able to get
this one working again.

2. On the tablet (and I would say most tablets that can't make phone calls,
which is the majority with original ROMs): the Bluetooth profiles are
mainly A2DP only (plus remote control sometimes) for playing HIFI music
(one way only) but NOT Headset or Handsfree profiles (lower quality duplex
audio for phone calls).

You can check this when you have paired the device by going into (in
English, but I am sure you will recognize it)  Wireless & Networks /
Bluetooth Settings  then long press on the BT device you use and look at
"Options" then at "Profiles". In English, the headset and handsfree
profiles are called "Use for Phone Audio". If not there, then it is not
implemented in the BT stack of the tablet.

Solution is a custom ROM maybe (I haven't tried yet).

3. I have used only stock standard API calls to the systems in AndPskmail
so it may be that one is not implemented the same way as in the stock
Android. The only way to test this would be for you to connect the phone
with its custom ROM to a PC (Windows or Linux) and get the LogCat output
 from a development package.

This is not difficult to put in place if you use the Eclipse development
package.

Unfortunately I can't test this here.

So getting the Bluetooth to work on the Nexus S with ICS is most likely the
easiest way forward. I will have a look at this today and send you a new
application tonight for testing.

Thanks for the testing and your patience.

73, John (VK2ETA)