[pskmail] Re: Hello

  • From: Jack Chomley <radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:21:49 +1000

Hi John,

Thanks for info. I burnt the ISO image for PSKmail to CD for a try, have some issues to resolve but I am not sure how it will go with my Tigertronics SignaLink USB interface. I do have some PSK tncs here, but I don't think they will work with PSKmail (SCS units) Not to mention my last brush with Linux, was Red Hat 5 :-) I might have to make up a machine and get a Linux O/S installed, rather than go the CD route.

73s

Jack VK4JRC

At 06:19 PM 17/10/2007, you wrote:
Hi Jack,

I am running on a fixed frequency of 7219KHz (VFO frequency), in LSB with 1000Hz audio offset. So the signal center frequency is 7218. I chose that part of the digital band plan segment since it is relatively quiet and rarely used by hams (at least in the last 4 weeks I monitored it).

Broadcast stations are completely silent during the daylight hours and should not be too much of a problem at night if we have a good signal between us. I was in QLD a couple of weeks ago and I had all day 100% linkup with a simple dipole 12 feet in the air and 100watts.

I am also on skype if you use it. My user id: john_douyere.

73s,

John

On 10/17/07, Jack Chomley <<mailto:radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John,

What frequencies are you running on?

73s

Jack VK4JRC

At 03:29 PM 17/10/2007, you wrote:
>Hello to All,
>
>I have setup a 24/7 PSKMail server in Sydney Australia (VK2ETA).
>Since I have just updated the wiki space, it was time I introduced
>myself to the group.
>
>The name here is John and I have been testing/using PSKMail here in
>Australia for couple of months now with great success.
>
>My main usage is when I go 4WDriving as I like the great outdoors
>this country has to offer. Due to it's relative sparse population
>outside the big cities, there are significant parts of Australia
>where we do not have mobile phone coverage. In fact in my last 10
>trips I can safety say that more than half the time I would camp
>outside a mobile phone coverage area.
>
>Having looked at different systems on the web, and dismissed the
>purchase of a PACTOR modem or a satellite phone for that matter, I
>find PSKMail does everything I need: mail (and thereby SMS using a
>third party provider), APRS, and text web (mainly for weather forecasts).
>
>So congratulations and a big thanks to the authors and thanks to the
>supporters for such a great, reliable solution with such a small HF footprint.
>
>I have just upgraded to V0.5 and I intend to test the PSK250 mode
>this weekend too. Has anyone tested that mode with PSKMail already
>and what are your comments so far?
>
>73s, John (VK2ETA)

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>16/10/2007 2:14 PM