[pskmail] Re: Hang with Live CD

  • From: Walt DuBose <dubose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:22:33 -0600

Per Crusefalk wrote:
tis 2007-01-23 klockan 21:30 -0600 skrev Walt DuBose:

I got the same error today on a PSKMail Live CD I downloaded from a site listed on one of the other sites.

I was booting up and a Dell GX-260 with 512 MB RAM. I will try it tomorrow on a Dell GX-580 with 1 GB of RAM.

Could it be that the last Live CD has an error in the ISO? Wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened. Hi Hi.

But I'm not going to blame anyone for putting out an opensource Live CD weather it works or not...its the thought and consideration that the individual has for the amateur radio community that shines so brightly.

73,

Walt/K5YFW

Hi,

That Dell is pretty much the same machine as I have in the office and I
tested it there as well. I will test the iso on that mirror and make
sure its ok. If its ok then the problem is caused by the generating
script (mklivecd). If thats the case then I guess there is no other
realistic option than to switch distro. So, I will test it first and
then see what I have to do.

73 de Per, sm0rwo

I ran it again today on a Dell GX-520 with a Gig of RAM and got this...

============================

Error: Unable to mount loop filesystem,

  commands were:

  losetup /dev/loop0
  initrd/cdrom/livecd.sqfs
  mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop0  initrd/loopfs

 Drooping you to a  limited shell

=================================

Almost the same thing that I got yesterday on the Dell GX-260 and what Bruce got. I left the CD at work but will bring it home tomorrow and run it on my homebrew Linux box.

When the fist prompt come who it says ... boot: What should be put in at that point? Perhaps that is the problem. I didn't see any instructions that said anything about special characters, etc. to put in.

73,

Walt/K5YFW

Rein Couperus wrote:

Bruce, I am sure Per will want to anwer this, but I know he is traveling at the
moment...

To me it looks like you ain't got enough memory. The KDE desktop of Mandriva,
which the CD is based on, needs at least 256 MB to run, and it feels happy with
512MB...

Remember, with a live CD the whole Linux stuff is running inside the RAM memory
of the computer.
No disk for swapping etc.
If I remember correctly Knoppix was using a lite window manager....
Maybe something we have to consider for further devt of the live CD... But 128 MB won't get you very far!!
You could try running the live CD on some other machine with more RAM, it won't
hurt as it does not touch the hard drive...

73,

Rein EA/PA0R/P