[pskmail] Re: Guidance for beginner

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:40:54 +1100

Hello Jeff,

No problems. Your setup looks correct. I would then look at the servers,
time (if they are scanning) and the mode.

1. On  http://hermes.esrac.ele.tue.nl/maps/pskmailers.php  you have the
currently active (meaning in the last hour) servers as a list and as blue
markers on the Google map.

Right now I can see AB9FT (I suspect too close for 30M), KB2PNM (good
distance, scanning) and WB5RFQ-5 (good distance too, not scanning).

2. I use http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/PSKmailservers to tell me which
servers are on which frequency. WB5RFQ-5 is fixed on 10148 so your ping
could reach him and KB2PNM is scanning with minutes 0 and 1 on 10148 (see
table at the bottom of the web page).

Note on scanning servers: Pskmail has a 5 minutes scanning cycle with
minutes numbered 0 to 4. So if you are targeting 10148 then KB2PNM will
listen on this frequency at 0 and 1 then 5 and 6 then 10 and 11 then 15 and
16 (and so on) minutes past the hour.

I normally wait an extra 10 seconds to make sure the server has changed
frequency.

3. Mode: the most versatile mode I find is THOR22 as it is pretty sensitive
and robust, not too slow and tolerates a fair amount of frequency
mis-alignment. Select that mode and ensure that the TXID box is lit on
Fldigi, then do a ping (at the right time if you want the scanning
server(s) to listen too).

Hope this helps.

If that fails, then I would try to setup a sked with one of the server's
operators on this list so that he can monitor the reception side and
exchange information in real time (with say telephone or Skype or other
messaging system).

In my experience, once that is in place it should be easier sailing from
there on.

All the best,

73, John