[pskmail] Re: Guidance for beginner

  • From: Jeff McKune <research@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 06:30:36 -0600

John,

Thanks for the kind, thoughtful, and quick reply. Those are really good suggestions. Let me respond to each one.

1.) That helps clarify the frequency settings. I am trying to connect to KD4QCL at 10148.00. Both settings in the Misc section of Fldigi are set to a carrier of 1000, and I have set my radio to 10147.00.

2.) This was an excellent tip, and I thought you had found the answer as I am using an FT-897D. However menu item 39 Digital Shift is set to 0 Hz.

3.) I am making sure that if I change any preferences or configuration settings in either program that I save and quit both programs, start Fldigi, and then start jpskMail.

I still get no response when I attempt a ping. I sometimes see what appear to be server signals or maybe other pskMail client signals up and down the waterfall, but they never show up under my cursor so that they can be decoded.

If it helps, here is what I am using:

Yaesu FT-897D
LDG AT-897 Plus tuner
G5RV-Jr antenna
SignaLink USB
HP Pavilion dm4 laptop running Win7 64-bit
Fldigi 3.21.38
jpskMail 1.5

Again, many thanks for your help.

73,

Jeff
KD0JLM

On 2/7/2012 10:35 PM, John Douyere wrote:
Hello Jeff,

Certainly, to the limits of our abilities.
.
I agree that hardware wise it seems OK, but configuration (including in the hardware) seems the issue.

Can I ask you to check the following items, and I apologize if they are too basic or if you have already checked them:

1. The server frequencies are given in signal central frequency. It is the sum (for a USB transmission which what we use on all our servers irrespective of the band) of the dial frequency of the transceiver and the Fldigi audio frequency. Example: 10148Khz server frequency = 10147Khz dial plus 1000Hz Fldigi waterfall frequency.

2. Some transceivers have a frequency offset when in "digital" modes like the Yaesu FT-817 or FT-857/897 series. As an example, in the FT-817 the menu item number 24 "DIG DISP" represents the offset between the signal frequency and the displayed frequency. For an FT-857/897 it is menu item 039 "DIG SHIFT". Personally I use an offset of zero and calculate the dial frequency manually as above.

3. Make sure that Fldigi is started before Pskmail as this sets the Fldigi program in a special mode. I am pretty sure there is a warning message if that is not the case but I wanted to check.

4. Covered in the manual, but let me come back to this: in Fldigi there are two places to set the audio frequency for Pskmail. First in the "Misc"/"Sweet Spot" section of the configuration where the "Psk et al." needs to reflect your chosen audio frequency (say 1000 or 1500Hz generally). Second in the "Misc" / "Pskmail" section where the "Carrier Frequency" need to be the same as above.

That's all I can think of at present.

Good luck and don;t hesitate to fire more questions.

All the best,

73, John (VK2ETA)

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Jeff McKune <research@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:research@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I am new to pskMail, but I have been an Fldigi user for a year or
    so.  I have been through the user manual a couple of times, but I
    cannot get pskMail to work.  When I request ping, my transmission
    takes place on the left side of the waterfall in Fldigi.  If a
    station server does happen to respond, it looks like it is
    responding on the far right side of the waterfall.  I have take
    the following steps to troubleshoot:

    1.)  Verified and tried different servers.
    2.)  Used the Frequency Calculator to make sure I am on the right
    frequency.
    3.)  Verified the configuration settings in Fldigi as specified in
    the pskMail manual.

    My interface appears to be working correctly, so I do not believe
    this is a hardware issue.  I suspect some sort of configuration
    issue, but I have not been able to resolve it.  The instructions
    sound straightforward.  Would anyone be able to assist me, or
    point me in the right direction?

    73,

    Jeff McKune
    KD0JLM