[pskmail] Re: Gmail as server SMTP

  • From: "Dan Ozment" <dan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:25:01 -0400

Bernie,

I don?t think the end user ? the sailor in your example ? should worry about
which SMTP server is being used to send his outbound mail.   The SMTP server
that is specified on the pskmail server is the one that pskmail will use to
send outbound email.    It doesn?t have anything to do with where the client
is or what his email address is.  This is simply the next hop for the
pskmail server to send mail to.   As long as the pskmail server I?m
currently using can connect to and authenticate with an SMTP server
somewhere it should be able to send my outbound mail.

From the perspective of an end user, I am going to send my outbound mail
from my pskmail client to the pskmail server.  My job is to get my message
to the server.   The server is responsible for sending it on its way over
the internet.  As a client I don?t care how the server does that as long as
the mail is delivered.  He can use any SMTP server that is available to him.

I do care about the POP settings.  Those settings tell the pskmail server
where my actual mailbox lives and gives it the credentials to download mail
that has been delivered to me at that mailbox.

So, the POP settings are specific for each user, and I believe the SMTP
settings are specific for the server.

Dan

KJ4ZZE