[pskmail] Re: Gmail as server SMTP

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:57:58 +0200

Hi Bernard,

I'm sorry but the server will only use one common smtp server for all
users so this may look like its working but in reality it's your
pskmailrc.pl that is doing all the heavy lifting here.
Users should of course fetch emails from their own accounts but the
server will always send outgoing emails through the one server
configured within pskmailrc.pl. Here is the code that does it:

sub send_mail {
my($to, $from, $subject, @body)= @_;
my $smtp;

  if ($smtpauthlevel != 2)  # Will not use TLS Auth
  {
    $smtp = Net::SMTP->new($relay,
      Hello => $smtphelo,
      Debug   => 1,);
    die "Could not open connection: $!" unless $smtp;
    if ($smtpauthlevel == 1 && $smtptlsuser ne '')  # Plain AUTH here
    {
      if ( !$smtp->auth($smtptlsuser, $smtptlspass) ) {
       logprint ("SMTP authentication failed or is not needed.\n");
      }
    }
  }
  else # Will use TLS Auth
  {
  logprint ("SMTP TLS requested, no debug info available..\n");
                $smtp = new Net::SMTP::TLS($relay,
                        Hello    =>      $smtphelo,
                        Port     =>      $smtptlsport,
                        User     =>      $smtptlsuser,
                        Password =>      $smtptlspass,
                        Timeout  => 10,
                        Debug    => 1);
  die "Could not open TLS connection: $!" if (! defined $smtp);
  }
etc........

So, it's the parameters from pskmailrc.pl that are used.

The problem with use of different smtp servers is also that other
servers than gmail may have restricted access to users from within their
own network. That is, comcast may have an smtp server that only
customers currently connected through comcast may access. Trying to
access that smtp server when not connected through comcast will by
default be regarded as a spam attempt. So, trying to use other smtp
servers will fail.

That user database is somewhat confusing here, it was designed many
moons ago and the smtp server field is no longer used.

73 de Per, sm0rwo

--
Mobile: +46703784299